Friday, March 31, 2017

Otomen, vol. 1-10

Otomen, vol. 1-10
by Aya Kanno
Published by VIZ Media LLC

This series first came out while I was in college and I remember borrowing the first few books from a friend to read and found it hilarious. I recently went to the library and saw they had volumes 1-10 on the shelf so I picked up all of them and re-indulged. I was not disappointed!

The premise of the series is that Asuka, the main character, has immersed himself into Kendo, Judo, and several other manly endeavors. The truth is, he's an "otomen", a man that enjoys feminine things. He hides this from his mother who has drilled into him that he must "act like a man" after dealing with Asuka's father leaving, declaring that he's always wanted to be a woman.

What I love about this series is similar why I love Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun) is that most of the gender roles and character tropes are reversed. Asuka's love interest is a girl who is very cute, but was raised by her single father, a dojo owner.

So of course, hilarity ensues!

There's hardly a time where I read a volume and I don't laugh out loud. The art style is very appealing, and Kanno does a great job of keeping the flow of the story going and showing when Asuka is emotionally moved without making him too out of character.

I look forward to reading the rest of the volumes!



No comments:

Post a Comment